Sunday, May 31, 2009

My stocks portfolio - May 2009

My overall portfolio was down by 23.6% at the end of May 2009. Total portfolio loss including dividends and realised losses or gains stood at 20.72%.

I did a performance comparison of my portfolio against STI as a benchmark and found that my portfolio was actually underperforming STI by about 5% for the month of May 2009. Despite the underperformance, I am still comfortable with my passive investing style through stocks.

I believe there is no one investing style that fits for everyone. Therefore it is important that you find out an investing style that you are most comfortable with and to stick to the style. For example, I ever experienced being a short term trader myself but then I realised that it is not suitable for my kind of lifestyle due to constant monitoring and anticipation of stock price movements in the short term.

There were 2 transactions for the month of May 2009.
Bought Capitaland (PSBP), new average price at $2.489
Bought SGX (PSBP), new average price at $5.456

I bought SGX shares through Phillip Share Builders Plan (PSBP) for the sixth straight month. But I am still short of my target allocation for SGX. Thus I will still continue to buy SGX shares in small quantity for the next few months.

As for Capitaland, I have finally reached my target allocation. Therefore I will stop buying Capitaland shares through PSBP in future. However I have no plan to transfer out my Capitaland shares to CDP yet. Since Capitaland do not have their own dividend reinvestment scheme, retaining my Capitaland shares under POEMS custody will allow me to automatically reinvest Capitaland dividends through PSBP.

Apart from the two purchases bought through PSBP, I did not make any other purchase for the month of May 2009. I have reserved quite a sum of money to participate in the upcoming RIGHTS exercises for Capitacomm and Pacific Andes. The two RIGHTS exercises are perfect opportunities for me to further average down my buy prices.

Also in this month, I have participated in the RIGHTS exercise for Keppel Land. I am eagerly waiting for my excess shares application result and I hope I can be lucky to be awarded with Keppel Land shares at about $1.09. If the result is a positive one, I could possibly make an easy 100% plus gain with Keppel Land. I will post the result in my next portfolio update.

I received total dividends of $1431.98 for the month of May 2009. This amount does not include dividends that were reinvested.

StockModeUnrealised P/L (SGD)StockModeUnrealised P/L (SGD)
ARA CASH-36.21%PAC ANDES CASH88.41%
ARMSTRONG CASH56.00%PLIFE REIT CASH20.36%
CAPITACOMMCASH-14.52%RAFFLES EDUCATIONCASH-35.85%
CAPITALAND (PSBP)CASH52.67%ROTARY ENGRG LTD CASH-36.88%
CHINA HONGXINGCASH-68.38%SATSCASH-8.77%
CHINA MILKCASH-40.19%SGX (PSBP)CASH34.71%
COSCOCORPCASH-62.07%ST ENGGCASH2.28%
COURAGE MAR CASH-34.29%SWIBERCASH-50.31%
CSE GLOBAL CASH61.95%TAI SIN CASH-39.39%
FIBRECHEM CASH-88.71%TAT HONG CASH41.58%
FRASERSCOMM CASH-77.23%UOB-KAY HIAN CASH-28.50%
FSL TRUST CASH-51.21%VICOM CASH-4.66%
GEN INT CASH11.62%VANGUARD EMER MRKTSCASH-24.55%
JAYA HLDG CASH-55.22%iSHARES MSCI EAFECASH2.32%
KEPPELCORPCASH86.09%BH GLOBALCPF-37.35%
KS ENERGYCASH-18.18%COSCOCORPCPF-56.43%
MACQ INT INFRA CASH-62.33%SIAENGGCPF-45.03%

No comments: