Saturday, October 30, 2010

My stocks portfolio - Oct 2010

Based on total invested capital, my stocks portfolio was up by 4.18% at the end of October 2010. Total portfolio gain adjusted to 12.85% after taking all dividends into account. My holding period return was 3.09% for the month of October 2010. Since the beginning of the year, my overall holding period returns translate to 21.62% in annualized return.

There was 1 transaction on the month of October 2010.
Bought Mapletree Industrial Trust (IPO), average price at $0.930

October 2010 was a busy month filled with mega IPOs. I was lucky to be allocated with some shares in Mapletree Industrial Trust (MIT) and Global Logistic Properties (GLP). I decided to keep the MIT shares while selling the GLP shares away. Since the GLP transaction was intended to be a speculative play, I decided not to record that transaction in my book. I plan to use the proceeds to purchase myself a new smart phone to replace my near three year old Sony Ericsson P1i handphone :).

Out of the two IPOs, I find that MIT is more appealing than GLP. MIT is a REIT with committed dividend payouts in the future while GLP is a growth stock with no dividend policy in place. Apart from the China properties, I am not comfortable with the bulk of Japanese properties that GLP holds. Japan together with US is definitely losing their power house status in the centre stage of the global economy. In my opinion, Asia Pacific excluding Japan and Emerging Markets are the countries that can offer good growths and opportunities going forward. Thus the concentration of Chinese and Japanese properties is the main reason as to why I am not keen with GLP.

MIT on the other hand holds some industrial properties across Singapore. Singapore being an export driven economy which shall remain to be one in the future will drive manufacturing and logistic facilities to become key areas of growth in the country. Most of the REITs dividend yields are already compressed so I actually decided not to add new REIT into my portfolio. But I believe buying MIT though IPO can offer me a reasonable margin of safety for any downside.

And I don’t have any exposure to industrial properties at the moment. Therefore the IPO gives me a good chance to gain that exposure. Also MIT has quality properties comparable to Ascendas REIT (A-REIT). That means I was expecting MIT to debut well with comparable yield to A-REIT. As we all know from the balloting results, the massive amount of over subscription for the IPO shares had displayed strong interests among institutional and retail investors.

I received total dividends of $155.65 on the month of October 2010.

MonthHolding Period ReturnAnnualized Return
Jan-10-1.75%21.62%
Feb-101.36%
Mar-102.98%
Apr-104.36%
May-10-7.12%
Jun-104.40%
Jul-104.49%
Aug-10-1.38%
Sep-106.76%
Oct-103.09%

StockModeUnrealised P/L (SGD)StockModeUnrealised P/L (SGD)
ARA CASH69.14%MAPLETREE INDCASH14.81%
ARMSTRONG CASH244.00%MERMAIDCASH-35.55%
ASIATRAVELCASH-0.86%NOBLE GROUPCASH17.57%
CAPITACOMMCASH68.74%NEPTUNE ORIENT LINESCASH62.49%
CAPITALANDCASH56.29%PLIFE REIT CASH113.83%
CAPITAMALLS ASIACASH0.94%RAFFLES EDUCATIONCASH-65.81%
CHINA MILKCASH-67.74%ROTARY ENGRGCASH-1.09%
CITYSPRINGCASH23.48%SATSCASH68.84%
COURAGE MAR CASH-22.62%SGXCASH38.19%
CSE GLOBAL CASH172.49%ST ENGGCASH45.30%
FIBRECHEM CASH-88.71%STARHUBCASH23.37%
FORTUNE REITCASH50.18%TAI SIN CASH-25.87%
FRASERSCTCASH40.33%TAT HONG CASH36.48%
GENTING SPCASH206.06%TECK WAHCASH10.93%
HEALTHWAYCASH28.21%TIONG SENGCASH-1.92%
HG METALCASH-33.12%UOB-KAY HIAN CASH-10.89%
HOCK LIAN SENGCASH2.35%VICOM CASH54.10%
JAYA HLDG CASH-47.82%VANGUARD EMER MRKTSCASH-2.90%
K-GREENCASHNAiSHARES MSCI EAFECASH10.10%
KEPLANDCASH256.11%BH GLOBALCPF-21.38%
KEPPELCORPCASH157.95%COSCOCORPCPF-36.69%
LEE METALCASH1.42%SIAENGGCPF-8.59%
MACQ INT INFRA CASH-39.18%

4 comments:

Royston said...

Hi Mike,

I've added your blog to a list of Singapore Investment Bloggers.

http://sginvestbloggers.blogspot.com/

Would be great if you can add a link back as well.

Cheers,
Royston

I said...

hi Mike.

Notice you have holdings in many different companies. Is it difficult to keep track of all of them, especially since you have a full time job?

ps would you like a link exchange?

Mike Dirnt said...

Hi Isaac,

I have put up a link of your site.

There are many investing styles. Im more comfortable with holding of a diversified basket of stocks that can try to mimic the market return as close as possible. Of course i hope to earn slightly more than market returns because if not i rather invest in the index itself.

No i dont really have difficulty keeping track of all the stocks. once i do my analysis of the companies to buy, i will stop monitoring news after buying them. there isnt any need to monitor news daily if you have a longer term investment horizion. but i do monitor price movements on daily basis out of curiosity but i dont act on it.

just pick the good stocks and the potential profits will come in naturally. of course potential losses. if you have good stocks selection skills, the potential profits in the longer term will definitely much outweigh your losses. just remember, the max loss you can get from a stock is 100% while the potential profit is truly unlimited.

i noticed you bought covered warrants. just becareful about buying them. they are highly manipulated by the issuer. buyers are always put at a disadvantage postion. advisable to stop buying them.

I said...

Hi Mike,

what do you mean by manipulated?